19 April, 2006

A Spending Spree!!!!

Finally after nearly a year of hunting, dedicating every Saturday morning to scouring the Domain section of the paper, running around the city this suburb and that, we have found a new home!!! After discouragingly stepping over holes in floors, pushing open rickety doors and staring at the cloudy sky through gaping holes in leaky roofs...after being handily eclipsed at auctions week upon week by wealthier, eager young buyers, we have finally been blessed with a golden opportunity. Our foot is finally in the door!



Granted, it's a bit cozy and the back garden view is more suited for exhibitionists than a private young couple...still nothing a bit of tall bamboo or terraced vines can't fix. Yes, we've bought a house in Melbourne!!!

It's not exactly as close to the city as we've been trying for but we don't yet have the budget for those neighborhoods. What it is exactly is 9.5 kilometers (6 miles) from the very heart of the city and just off the main road to Sydney

So Mauzi took her parents around at 10 am to get their seal-of-approval, which frankly means a whole lot to me and doesn't come all to easily from a couple of protective Irish immigrants. In fact this is the first and only house that has been given the (Isle of) green light. By 10:30 Mauzi had made an offer and left to spend the day with friends in Castlemaine, two hours north of Melbourne. Needless to say, we spent the rest of the day texting back and forth, "Have you heard anything yet? No, have you?" I won't bore with the details of house negotiations but there were many more phone calls, counter offers and finally I found myself in an office in Ivanhoe writing out the biggest cash cheque of my life and signing my name and endless stack of forms.

With Mauzi and her friends off in the bush celebrating our new acquisition over a bottle of wine and pasta I took myself to a quiet little Maylasian place and had a wonderful, warm bowl of noodles. As I walked out into the street and gazed up to the warm, orange glow of the melbourne night I found myself smiling, happy in the knowledge that I have finally found contentment at last. Not only have I found myself in a city of never-ending adventure, I now have a home and a new and exciting neighborhood, and best of all I have a wonderful partner and best friend to share it with. All down here at the bottom of the world.

Check out all the details here:

http://realestateview.com.au/cgi-bin/view.pl?OID=735664&rev=on

2 Comments:

At 1:33 am, Blogger 3607 said...

This is great news Jack. Congrats!

 
At 2:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you guys. Can't wait to come and see it. Save me some painting to do.

Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home