30 June, 2006

Killing Time III

Killing Time Part III



Thank god for Borders. Here is an institution that never fails to please. (Yes, I know what you’re thinking just gimme a second here.) Think about it. The place is always open late and it’s filled to bursting with an endless supply of information and entertainment. And best of all, it’s free!


Heck, they’re so huge, so globally dominant that they can afford to let you just lounge around in the place, reading stuff at your leisure, leaving behind nothing but dirty, grubby fingerprintz. In fact they encourage the practice with all their fat, comfy chairs, coffee bar and comfortingly inoffensive Nora Jonesy background music.


Now don’t get me wrong, they certainly get no business from me! In my world Borders is for research and Readings is for acquisitions. Readings is the original neighbourhood independent bookstore in Carlton.



It seems Borders Inc. did their research well and must have found this quaint little local establishment doing a lucrative business and drawing in the customers. What better place to open a new branch, in an already tried and true market? So, they dropped a shop in, not just on the same block, in the same neighbourhood, but directly across the street!


So I say fuck ‘em. If I want to read it, copy it or listen to it, I’m not afraid to be seen in Borders. If I want to take it home or give it away, I always go independent.

And by the way, Borders has Curt Cobain greeting cards!

Well done Courtney! That’s so Rock-n-Roll!!!

Those cards pay for rehab?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home