02 April, 2008

Pic of the Day March 29, 2008

I forgot to mention that the campsite had a fence covered with wild blackberries.We picked enough for blackberry pancakes!These brambles were so thick with berries that it reminded me of those early years after I moved to Wisconsin from Kansas in grade six.
We used to fill gallon ice-cream buckets with berries and our teeth with seeds.
Raspberries too.
Man, thinking back, I miss those innocent days.

Hey Tony...remember riding our Kawasaki's to Bass lake? Hot black tea and sugar with tinned green beans to warm up, watching Caspar cartoons? Sucking nectar from ditch Columbine flowers before they became associated with school massacres? Picking engorged ticks off that old dog and smashing them on the road (nearly makes me sick to think about) ? Washing your dad's semi for a measly $5? Baling hay and then making forts in the barn? Saturday nights with Benny Hill followed by Monty Python and by Dr Who?? Your pool table? Electronic Battleship for Xmas..?Man I was so jealous of you that year.

I thought about that Xmas recently. I picked up an old (manual) Battleship game and taught my students ho to play. They love it...

3 Comments:

At 5:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember once we were going from Tony's to your place. You were riding the bike, and I was in the car with your mom. You passed us in the oncoming lane and waved.

I had to sit there for the next few miles with your mom ... let's say, not happy.

~john

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger jroth777 said...

Sorry about that John. I feel your pain.

Were you with us that time I lit a firecracker in the car, threw it and it bounced back in and exploded at mom's feet?

I thought I was going to get in heaps of trouble for that. I think having you in the car too got me off the hook.

 
At 7:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, why were you in the car with me going back to the farm while Jack was riding to Tony's?

Jack, that kid from Wichita was in the car. I thought he was the one who threw the firecracker. Maybe I just remember it that way because of all the other trouble he got into such as lighting the hairspay can on fire. Fun summer - not!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home