10 August, 2008

Matt, you may remember this one?

I just got a new MacBook this week and while uploading all my archived files I came across some very old images. This is one of a flyer from a very short-lived warehouse music club I used love to go to when I lived in Kansas City.
The Rhumba Box was put together by a few ambitious cool kids and ran a lot of local and smaller punk and indy shows.

They pretty much flew under the radar until Beck came to town during his Mellow Gold tour and the kids lined up around the block. Beck graciously put on a second show but I think the exposure, that and the fact that
a bunch of rich suburban Kansas kids parents Lexus' began getting broken into, alerted the powers that be. Soon enough they shut the place down due to "fire code restrictions".

I saw some of the best bands of the time at the Rhumba Box:
Trust Obey
Brainiac
Mazzy Star
Professor Griff
Girls Against Boys
Beck (Much watch link)
Exene Cervenka
Chere UK
Jawbox
Veruca Salt

Plagiarized from a Veruca Salt Interview:

Nina: Jim, what's the best place we've ever played?

Jim: Uh... Kansas City.

Nina: Nonono... what about the Playmore Ballroom? In Rochester, Minnesota?

Jim: The Playmore Ballroom was cool but I think the Liquid Sky tribute club in Kansas City... (laughter)

Nina: Yeah, what about Peter Case's son? There was this club called the Rhumba Box in Kansas City, and...

Jim: It's probably burned down since then...

Nina: No, it was closed down because of asbestos! And there were those nitrous things ALL over the floor... Who in this room has ever done Whip-its? (laughter) ... and the guys were all such posers, and this guy who was Peter Case's son really wanted us to know who his father was, but he couldn't just come out with it... anyway...

Jim: Who was Peter Case with anyway?

Steve: I don't know, the Plimsouls... (laughter)

1 Comments:

At 11:12 pm, Blogger amecameca said...

oh man! i am SO glad you keep this kind of shit!!
i never went to the Rhumba House i don't think, but veruca salt, mazzy star and cher uk remind me so much of driving down ward parkway in my blue ford station wagon going home from workin at the bagel shop~ and SHALLOW!! i saw them for like $3 in some pool hall in Lawrence with fritz and rene. ahhh, sweet sweet memories.

p.s. those links didn't work for me :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home